By Samuel Park
Updated on August 30, 2018
As of August 8, Judge Hanen from the Texas District Court has NOT issued any orders, and DACA renewals are still being accepted. Due to the possibility of DACA renewals ending in a matter of weeks, eligible DACA recipients are strongly encouraged to renew their DACA. Initial applications are still not being accepted.
August 2, 2018
I am writing to let you know why I am renewing my DACA this week and encouraging other DACA beneficiaries to do the same.
As some of you may already know, there is a preliminary hearing on DACA scheduled for August 8th in Texas. This hearing poses a distinct threat to DACA, and may lead to the Trump Administration no longer accepting DACA renewals.
Therefore, we urge DACA beneficiaries whose DACA expires between now and August 8, 2019 to renew as soon as possible.
Background: Judge Andrew Hanen, who has previously criticized the Obama Administration for its implementation of the DACA program, will be presiding over the Texas hearing. Should Judge Hanen declare DACA to be unlawful, the Trump administration may stop accepting DACA renewal applications and end the DACA program entirely. For more information on the DACA litigation timeline, please read this resource created by NILC.
Here are some resources to help you renew your DACA application:
- Steps to Prepare for Your DACA Renewal
- United We Dream’s DACA renewal eligibility tool
- List of CA organizations that provide DACA renewal assistance
- List of nationwide organizations that provide DACA renewal assistance
Also, here are some other ways to stay informed and engaged:
- Find out about your other immigration options with Immigrants Rising’s Free Immigration Legal Intake Service
- Visit the Immigrants Rising website to find other resources and stay updated on DACA’s future
Renewing my DACA will enable me to continue doing the work I love and creating positive change. Please join me in encouraging as many DACA beneficiaries as possible to seize this critical moment.
Together, we can make a difference.