Submitting the AB 540 Affidavit Required for New Incoming Students at CCCs, CSUs, or UCs

Themes/Topics: Higher Education

Geography: California

Audience: Undocumented Youth

Who should fill out the Affidavit?

You should fill out the Affidavit if you are an incoming student without lawful immigration status (undocumented), including Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) grantees; or with T or U nonimmigrant status, TPS, U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Residence, or other lawful residence classified as a nonresident who meet the eligibility criteria for AB 540, AB 2000, or SB 68.

Why should I fill out an affidavit?

If you are not classified as a state resident, you will be charged non-resident fees until your affidavit and necessary documentation are submitted and processed at the school you plan to attend. Additionally, you will not be eligible to receive your California Dream Act financial aid until your affidavit is processed.

What documentation do I have to submit?

There are two types of documentation you may be required to submit with the affidavit:

  1. official transcript from a CA high school or CA Community College (CCC); OR a copy of your attendance records from a CCC noncredit program or an adult school or equivalent (GED, CHSPE, TASC or HISET); or a combination.
  2. proof that you have or will have graduated with a high school diploma or the equivalent (GED, CHSPE, TASC, or HiSet); an associate’s degree from a CCC; or proof that you will have completed the minimum requirements for transfer to a CSU or UC. If you have three years of high school credits, and attended a combination of three years at CA elementary & secondary schools, you may also be required to submit your transcripts from these schools.

When should I submit my affidavit?

You should submit your affidavit prior to the deadline listed at your school. This is usually sometime after you receive your acceptance letter and prior to your new student orientation. Check with your school for specific deadlines. Continuing students should not be required to submit a new affidavit, once it’s been approved, unless they have not attended classes for a full year and need to reapply to the school.

Where should I submit my affidavit?

You must submit your affidavit to the admissions or registrar’s office at the college or university you plan to attend. Once you submit it, you should follow-up within the next 2 weeks to BE SURE that the college or university received all the necessary paperwork.

How do I complete the Affidavit?

Fill out your full name, student ID number, address, email, and schools attended, including dates and length of time. You will also be required to attest that you meet the eligibility criteria. You must check the box that pertains to you and sign the form.

  1. Students with T or U non-immigrant or refugee status should consult with their school before completing the affidavit. AB 1899 allows individuals who have been granted T or U status to be considered for in-state tuition eligibility without waiting a year, if they meet the criteria described above. Under AB 343, refugees, T and U visa holders may also be eligible to pay in-state rates immediately, under another exception for these students, if they settled originally in California.
  2. Students who do NOT have a current nonimmigrant status, including students who are undocumented, DACA recipients, have TPS, are U.S. Citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents, and other lawfully residing immigrants should check the SECOND box.
  3. Students who have been admitted to the U.S. on a temporary nonimmigrant visa (with the exception of T & U Visas holders) are not eligible to apply for the nonresident tuition exemption.

Print out your California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request today!

Immigrants Rising helps you make decisions based on your potential, not your perceived limits. Visit our website so you can see what’s possible: Reviewed 8/2023.

Back to Resources