In-State Tuition Overview

Themes/Topics: Higher Education

Geography: California

Audience: Ally, Educator, Undocumented Youth

In-State Tuition in California

In order to pay in­state tuition, the college or university must determine that you are a California resident for tuition purposes, or that you meet the eligibility to be exempt from non­resident tuition through AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68.

If you are considered a non resident for tuition purposes, you will pay approximately three times more than a resident student. In order to become exempt from your non-resident tuition at a California public college or university, you must complete a non-resident tuition exemption form, also known as an affidavit.

Download Submitting the AB 540/AB 2000/SB 68 Affidavit
Download the CCC, CSU, or UC affidavits

Recently, a new California law expands the opportunities for individuals to receive non-resident tuition exemption, which is SB68.
Read SB68 Fact Sheet and SB68 Quick Guide which provides more detailed explanations of this new law.


Non­resident tuition exemption is not dependent on DACA

Read Understand the Differences: In-State Tuition vs CA Dream Act vs DACA.

California Residency for Tuition Purposes is determined by the college and university and is different from U.S. Citizenship/Permanent Residency Status. This is based your legal presence in the state, continuous physical presence for more than one year and your intent and ability to stay in California indefinitely.

Download California Residency for Tuition Purposes

As a student who is a citizen, but whose parents are undocumented, you must follow specific steps to ensure you will be considered for resident fees and receive state-based financial, in addition to any federal aid through the FAFSA.

Download Mixed Status Households: How to Apply for In-State Tuition and Financial Aid


Resident vs. Non­Resident Fees: This is How Much Money You Can Save


*Private colleges and universities determine their own fee schedule and are not included within in­state tuition legislation.

Back to Resources